Search This Blog

Friday, July 22, 2011

Hiro is Not Just a Commodity

Nationals @ Dodgers
7:10pm
Game 1

The Dodgers open a homestand hosting a series with the Washington Nationals amidst a last place position in the west and swirling trade rumors. Hiroki Kuroda (6-11, 3.13) will pitch for the Dodgers while stories are rampantly being run that he may be traded before the deadline this month. "This could be his last start as a Dodger..." they proclaim....didn't we hear this same thing last season around this time? Kuroda has a full no-trade clause in his contract, but I guess the Dodgers have discussed the trade possibility with him. I'm not sure why he's the focal point, and this attention to his commodity-like value must really put stress on his shoulders. Like I said before, of course other teams want him. If we are already going to lose a bunch of games this year, why trade him away for a couple of potential prospects when in all reality we could sign him to another deal for next year and have him when McCourt is hopefully gone and the team is refreshed. I just don't see how getting rid of one of our best starters and being left to plug in the hole with a lesser AAA pitcher will benefit the team. We have already lost Jon Garland and Vicente Padilla this year, so why further dilute the rotation?
Colletti had a meeting with Kuroda who claims doesn't want to trade Kuroda, but wanted to give him the opportunity to go to a winning team if he wanted. "I'm grateful that he took the time to talk to me," Kuroda said. "It was very thoughtful of him to speak to me directly instead of speaking to me through my agent."
Asked whether he would waive his no-trade clause, Kuroda said, "At this point, I don't know yet."
He said he didn't know what to make of his situation.
"I have very complicated feelings. I can't read the newspapers, so I don't really know what's happening," said Kuroda, who doesn't speak English.

Hiro Should Stay a Dodger
Hiro moved to the United States four years ago to play for the Dodgers. He has a career record of 34-41 with a 3.51 ERA in 102 games. Hiroki was born on February 10, 1975 in Osaka, Japan. Him and his wife, Masayo, have two daughters Hinatsu & Wakana.

 John Lannan (6-6, 3.62) is a lefty who will pitch for the Nationals. I guess he had recently got hit in the face with a line drive hit by Ty Wigginton in a game against the Rockies, but he's okay. Lannan is 2-1 with a 3.32 ERA against the Dodgers in 3 starts.

Lineup:

Gwynn 7
Furcal 6
Ethier 9
Kemp 8
Rivera 3
Uribe 5
Barajas 2
Carroll 4
Kuroda 1

With a lefty on the mound, Rivera will start at first base instead of Loney. Carroll is buried in the 8th spot again.

Go Blue:)

No comments:

Post a Comment